Principle of certification according to ISO 22000
The certificate issued by an independent accredited certification body guarantees that the food safety management system established in the company has been assessed by an accredited certification body and satisfies the requirements of ISO 22000:2005 standard.
Food safety and health unobjectionability issues have been the focus of consumers”s attention for many years. In order to consolidate the disintegrated approach to food safety management, a standard was drawn up within the scope of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) oriented to the whole chain of entities engaged in food business, including manufacturers of feeding stuffs, primary manufacturers, manufacturers of food, carriers, wharehouses operators, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers and eating facilities.
The standard refers to the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points System principles (HACCP) and to the steps for this system implementation elaborated by the Committee of Codex Alimentarius, further developing them, while being closely related to ISO 9001.
Benefits of certification
- Effective utilisation of the previously acquired certificates (HACCP, ISO 9001);
- Reducing cost of implementing the food safety system requirements according to other standards in the field of food safety (IFS, BRC”);
- Trustworthy guarantee of food safety confirmed by an independent third party;
- Contribution to the process of facilitating communication with trade chains.
The certification process consists of 3 basic phases:
1) Elaboration of documentation
2) Putting QMS into practice
The times of elaboration of documentation and putting the system into practice are individual (it usually takes several months).
Certification by the accredited certification body
- Registration of the application;
- An agreement for conducting a certification audit (Note: The certification audit is conducted in two stages);
- Appointing a team of auditors;
(a system documentation audit and a proper audit of the management system working, elaboration of the Certification Audit Report);
- Assessment of the Audit Report by the Certification Body;
- Issuance of the Certificate.